Aishwaraya: Software, Pramati Tech., Hyderabad, India
Badhri: Electronics Design, Synopsys, Hyderabad, India
Jagan: Telecommunications, Muscat, Oman
Priya: Ph.D student, Texas, Biosciences, USA
Sarathy: Energy, California, USA
Shabnam: HR, Pramati Tech., Hyderabad, India
Shashi: Electronics Design, Synopsys, Hyderabad, India
Understanding of Purpose
- Improve standard of living (SOL), don't wait for others to do it
- Other factors play vital role too..but what are they? Open to debate
- How are we planning to execute the projects?
- Form a framework of factors affecting SOL, choose projects to implement if they fit in it.
- Research to know what the beneficiary is looking for (not what you want to give them).*
- Research and brainstorm to find set up a system that serves the need continuously.*
- Try not to give a temporary solution, unless it is done to gain the trust of the beneficiary.*
- Choose projects that target different areas. (primary education, medical awareness)
- Will ensure that most the components that contribute to SOL is covered
- Don't be rigid about framework. Choose project on merit, then try to modify and fit it in the framework
- How do you think NRIs can contribute?
- As an NRI, you see the difference in SOL day-to-day. Share it!
- The group has to stay connected regularly to brainstorm what is shared.
- Meet once every 15 days! (agreed by all!)
- For NRI to do field work, start with your school, stress importance of non-academic learning (like safety). Influence friends to do the same
- May consider a limit on the number of people in the group in the future.
- Make blog more appealing, give only relevant information and make it more explorable and inviting.
* Didn't mention the very point during the meet, but gave an example of a preliminary negotiations with Ananda Bharati, an NGO at Hyderabad. The example meant to deliver these points.
(Please feel free to make changes or add points in case I have left out anything important. I have a copy of the version currently posted for back up. But do mention the changes made in the comment field)